Walking is the best exercise for people who’re not physically active and not in shape to do more demanding exercises to lose weight. Regular walking can help you more than 20 pounds in just 5 months, without dieting or hitting the gym. Walking is super beneficial for muscle toning and improving your health overall and can also help you shed the excess pounds and get fit, without breaking a sweat. Implementing a regular walking routine to lose weight is easy, all you need to do is follow a few basic rules.
Lose Weight by Walking
You can burn a lot of calories if you start walking on a regular basis, you just need to calculate the appropriate distance and walking pace according to your weight. Walking at a speed of 4 miles an hour can help you burn 400 calories an hour. But you can walk more, depending on your schedule and the time you have, for every mile you’ll be burning an additional 100 calories. You can purchase a pedometer and measure how much you walk throughout the day and calculate how much more you need to reach your goal.
Can Pedometers Help You Lose Weight?
Pedometers can be really helpful to people who’re trying to lose weight through walking. Pedometers are small gadgets that measure your steps and the distance you cover every day. They can also tell you how much calories you’re burning and help you keep track of your goal. Pedometers are so technologically advanced nowadays that they have tons of useful features. You can attach it to your arm or leg and not even feel you have it on you.
Before you start your walking routine you need to figure out how much you need to walk to lose the weight. To do that you must first find out how much you’re walking now, and the pedometer can help you do it. Then you need to do the math and increase your walking, number of steps or distance so that you can start noticing the weight loss.
How Many Steps per Day to Lose Weight?
According to calculations one needs to walk approximately 2000 steps per mile if they want to lose weight. At this speed, you’ll burn about 100 calories per mile. Your pedometer can help you count your steps, your covered distance and the number of calories burned. The biggest advantage to this routine is that you don’t have to work out, just start walking more and the results will be there.
Here’s the math:
- For every mile you walk you make 2000 steps and burn 100 calories.
- To lose one pound you need to burn 3500 calories.
- To lose one pound a week means you need to burn 500 calories a day.
- This equals 10000 steps a day for a weight loss of 1 pound per week.
If you believe that 10000 steps a day are just too much, you can start slowly and gradually increase the number of steps, you’ll just be losing the weight slower at first until you reach the desired goal of 10000 steps.
Here are some tips on how to increase the number of steps a day:
- Don’t ride the bus to your designated stop, get off earlier, one or two stops and walk to your house.
- Park your car a bit further from your destination and walk there.
- Take the stairs whenever you can instead of the elevator.
- Walk your children to school.
- Walk your dog to the park.
Keep Things Interesting
Just walking can get boring at times and sometimes you need to do something to spice things up and keep it interesting. Here are a few tips that can help you through the boring times:
- Don’t use the same path every time you walk, make a different turn, walk another route and keep things interesting.
- Play your favorite music while you walk, it’ll motivate you and make your time more enjoyable.
- Walk around different parks, areas and neighborhoods, switch your surroundings to make things more interesting.
- Just because it’s cold outside it doesn’t mean you need to stop walking. You can buy yourself a treadmill and continue with your routine. Put it in front of your window or the TV and enjoy the scenery or your favorite shows while you walk.
- Ask a friend or family member to come walking with you. They might come with just once a week but still it will be a nice change from having to walk alone every day.
- Whenever you feel down and low in motivation, make a change, don’t let boredom prevent you from getting the desired result and get in shape.
The walking style is also important when it comes to losing weight because bad posture and stance can have a negative effect on your weight loss efforts. You need to keep your chin up and your focus some hundred feet in front of you. Pull in your abdomen and squeeze the glutes and this will guarantee you get the most of your exercise.
How Often Do You Need to Walk?
First thing you need to do before starting this program is to talk to your doctor and see if you’re in good shape to start. Once he gives you the green light and says you’re good to go, you can go ahead and start your exercise routine. Start with 3 days a week, 15 to 20 minutes a day. Gradually increase the walking time and frequency until you reach 30-60 minutes a day, every day.
With this exercise regimen you will not just lose weight, you’ll feel much better overall and improve your general health and well-being. You can lose up to 88 pounds in a year with just walking every day.
Article and image source: http://justorganicrecipes.com